Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My careful climber makes some friends...

Noah and I went to two different parks the past two days. At both parks, I actually got to sit down and relax a bit because he joined some kids in play. It's so fun to watch him join a group and actually interact with other kids. I think as a social worker, I'm sometimes too hypervigilant about how his social skills are progressing and whether or not he's fitting in. He's doing just fine. At the first park, he and two other children made up this whole elaborate play scheme about a space ship and keys... I was trying to follow it... but wasn't really successful. They all kept losing keys to the house, the spaceship and the car and found it to be hilariously funny. I absolutely loved watching it. Noah did reprimand the little girl when she yelled at her brother though. He told her, "Hey, you don't talk to him like that." He's such a boss. I'm really not sure where in the world he could have gotten that from. Some things are just a mystery.
Driving the spaceship.
My boy is getting so big... can't believe he can reach the fountain now all by himself. "Oh no, we lost the keys again!"
Noah is what I would call a very careful climber. He's getting much better, but can still be very hesitant with certain structures. While we were at the second park, there was this rope thing to climb, it was almost like a spiderweb. He wanted to do it so badly but was scared. Well, along comes this little girl and she whizzes right over it. She was a little older than Noah (I had to ask). She saw that Noah wanted to do it and began to encourage him. At one point, she said to him, "C'mon, you're not scared." (she said it very kindly) Noah responded (somewhat exasperated), "Yes, I AM scared." She then proceeded to show him step by step how to do it by scooting on his butt and putting his feet in front of him. He kept trying until he mastered it. Another proud mama moment. I was so proud that he kept trying and didn't give up just because it was hard. I was also proud that he was able to tell the little girl that he WAS scared. I was also proud of MYSELF for not standing by him constantly with my hands under him "just in case" he fell.
Oops!
Trying it again.
Practice, practice, practice! He's getting there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow he is getting very big